138 // Inspiration / Style / Winter | tori's tales: 138 // Inspiration / Style / Winter

4 December 2013

138 // Inspiration / Style / Winter

I've been thinking lately about winter style and all those (there are a hell of a lot of them when you go on a search) enviably well-put-together mortals whose effortless-looking (coz for all I know it took them bloody forever to put together) ensembles that make me wish for long, tumbling hair, a head made for hats and the willingness to wear heels during the daytime (come on, as if!). This is the sort of winter style I long to emulate. It seems that, to do so, all one really needs is a good, solid winter coat (I think I've got that, though it would be preferable minus the effort that comes with trying to cough up the fur-ball the moulting collar gives me) and some rather fabulous accessories - sunnies (not so much needed any more in grey, dull Nottingham), a hat (haha!), scarf (done, plural), heels (see above) or boots (I'm well-acquainted with a good pair of winter-flats), an oversized handbag (ding, ding, ding!) and some well-placed pieces of jewellery. Oh, and the budget to make that happen.  


A cinched-in waist always does it for me, and coupled with the shades, that belt and what to me looks like a matchy-matchy bag, we're on to a winter-winner!

Grey and green make for a cool winter pairing, and this look is all about the special touches - printed trews (that'll be trousers), black hat (is that a fedora? I have no idea!), a chunky necklace and bracelet makes this a pretty picture-perfect day-to-night ensemble.


The camel, an edible-looking marvel of the coat world, adding a hint of chic-appeal to any outfit. Coupled with a clashing scarf (love Alexa's yellow) or feet-friendly wedges, it makes the most wonderful of companions (just don't buy one on the cheap, I know what happens to such a coat after only a few months and it certainly ain't pretty!).


Grey and black. Could there be a more sophisticated coupling? Both these ladies have got their accessorising down to a tee; blogger-obligatory camera and wide-brimmed hat on the left, lady-like bag and pointy flats on the right.


Another pair who are all about the accessories, these ladies would surely knock heads over whose bag was the most over-sized! Both are modelling rather enviable boots (knee or ankle high - which to choose!) and black coats - stylised military and informal pea-esque (like that's a thing Tors!).

R // What Do I Wear

When muted palettes just won't do, the key to brightening up an outfit seems to be to just thrown in a pattern, be it a tartan scarf (much like the two I'm toting nowadays) or a chequered shirt (oh to pull one of those off rather than looking like someone who is going to a Wild-West themed fancy dress party). And while you're at it, chuck on those 'daytime heels' I spoke about. Ah, to look so polished.


7 comments:

  1. I really love the coat in the Grey & Green photo! And the outfit on the bottom right. These are some beautiful styles, thanks for sharing the inspiration :)

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a coat-aholic at the moment, think I've bought six this winter. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bah! I wish I could pull of these effortlessly-chic looks!! I adore these coats (esp the camel colored ones!) but I just never seem to find the right one (or if I do it is out of my price range!)..But I don't really have to worry about it too terribly much because it doesn't get too cold here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. Boxy coats are so amazing!

    http://skinandroses.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring chicness… I have a knack of looking scruffy no matter what I wear, maybe a smart coat could trick people into thinking I'm not homeless…

    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG i love all these! I'm so obsessed with boyfriend coats. Well pretty much anything that's oversize. :) xox
    www.ruzinscloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely a thing, Tors, donchuworry

    I love winter style, but I think it's harder to put something together inspired by winter style pictures when you live in a climate that throws everything but that sun at you on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.

    Have a great Christmas,
    Tors x

    ReplyDelete

To my fabulous Tori's Tales comment'ers - I cherish each and every comment you take the time to leave me and, because of that, I reply to each and every one in return. If you have a Twitter account, then that's where you'll find me replying (because, let's be honest, I live on Twitter. In Twitter. Around Twitter. Twitter). If you don't then fear not, because a) this means you don't say stuff like the things above and b) I'll find you elsewhere.......
(*creeps you all out*)