134 // Thoughts on a Thursday | tori's tales: 134 // Thoughts on a Thursday

28 November 2013

134 // Thoughts on a Thursday

Image Credit: Emily Carlin, flickr
Image Credit: Ben Joyce, flickr
Image Credit: found on Life on Sundays, tumblr
I don't know what it is about snowy scenes, but I couldn't help but be drawn to the above images when scrolling through tumblr. Despite the fact it's beautiful, and I love the way it's captured in photos, I'm not a big fan of snow in real life thanks to the 'drama' it brings. Although, in all honesty, Nottingham dealt with it well last year (or the beginning of this year? I can't remember). Back home, however, there's always bus problems or train cancellations of something to stop people going about their daily business and that, my friends, is why it's a pain in the bum if it hangs around beyond a day or two!

Right now I'm in a very odd mood. I'm not going to go into it, because it's uni-related and it bores me to even think about it, so I'm not going to expose you to it also (I'm not that horrid), but it has meant a return to the kind of frame of mind that means even when I have posts in the pipeline - and I do, I have a couple lined up, that I've been spending time on - I can't bring myself to put too much energy into them, too much of my time, because - although I love doing so - I know it's not what I should be doing when I have so much work I actually have to do. And for this bloody degree, no less. 

So, it may mean a time out. It may not. I'm not sure. But for now I'm putting the longer, more effort-full (and, thus, interesting) posts on the back-burner, and will have to make do with updating you in this very short-and-not-so-sweet manner. It ain't exciting, insightful or inspiring but, in all honesty, it's a situation born from my own university-work-ineptitude so it's no more than I deserve! 

The winter evening's are drawing in on us now, which means duvet-covered sofas, condensation-covered windows and frown-covered faces (thanks to the lack of warmth in our flat - heating is going on tonight!). The mornings, though cold, up until now have been crisp, which I can deal with. But today's dampness? It got in my bones and doesn't want to leave. Which means a warm bath for me before bed. 

Image Credit: Tatyanna Gois, flickr
A few updates from my week:

  • I managed to get out to watch Catching Fire last night. Having been driven insane by my lack of essay-writing meant an 'I have to get out of the flat!!!' mood. Thankfully my friend Emma from uni was free and we ended up visiting the local Imax together, on a bit of a whim.  It was fantastic. If you are a fan, and haven't seen it, do so asap. If you aren't a fan, or haven't seen the first one, a) watch the first one and b) get you arse over to watch the second. You won't be disappointed. 

  • I went to Physio on Wednesday - I think it was maybe my fourth appointment - and this time I got to talk about my shoulders. I have joint-hypermobility-syndrome, which basically means weak muscles and un-stabilised joints (namely hips - meaning back ache - shoulders, fingers, ankles, knees and my jaw). Turns out my posture is poor and my shoulder blade muscles are almost non-existent, which causes my sharp, 'oh my god my shoulder/neck is on fire' heat/pain I get in them daily. Like right now. Cue more weird 'exercises' for me.

  • It's only two days until I attend the #EastMidsMeetUp and only 9 until I head to Bath for the weekend and the #BathXmasMeet. I'm super excited to meet lots of new people and greet lots of familiar faces too! 

  • Another uni friend lent me Rent, the theatre performance and film - both on DVD, one of which I'm hoping to watch Saturday evening when I'm back from the meet. Hit me up with recommendations as to which to watch first! 

  • I haven't been able to pick up a book since I put down Wonder and I'm beyond frustrated that, yet again, uni stress is getting in the way of my reading for pleasure. If you have any tips on how to get around/cope with this, please let me know!!

CNV000012
Image Credit: Vic. flickr
And while I'm here, and it's Thursday (oh, and thanksgiving - Happy Thanksgiving to all of those across the pnd!), I'll add a few things that I'm thankful for this week, just so I don't leave you on a sour note! Don't forget to head over to Lisette's blog to check out all her 'Thankful Thursday' posts!

  • My new wheat bag heat thing, which helps relieve some of the pain from my shoulders.

  • English Breakfast tea, and lots of it!


  • The sweet little notebook my parents got me for my birthday. It comes in handy for jotting down all manner of bits and pieces!

  • My new gloves, for the bitter mornings

  • Asda Smartprice jaffa cakes. Better than the real thing ;)  

  • Memories of toy duck!! (this is what I named the ducks - seen below - which we came across, frequently, in Germany and Austria. They are so beautiful!)

Taken by me in Kassel, Germany, in 2010

Turns out that post was a little longer than I thought it would be!!


4 comments:

  1. Them winter scenes make me feel all fuzzy inside :) I am pretty glad I'm not outside though and instead sat with my blanket indoors.

    I hope the Uni work goes well and diminishes quickly. I will look forward to your posts no matter how short and not so sweet you think they may be ;)

    Sorry to hear about all the aches and pains. Them wheat bags really are brilliant for a bit of relief and relaxation.
    Look after yourself mrs and enjoy your jaffa cakes!

    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Tori!

    Don't worry about the whole fitting blogging around uni thing - Uni takes priority, it's costing you! I can empathise, I found it so hard to blog and study for my finals too so just get your work done and rest...don't blog unless it feels restful to do so!
    In so far as reading goes - not helpful, but I didn't get to read a proper book until I finished my degree. s.u.c.k.s. Unless you're prepared to wind down with a book rather than with 15 minutes tv, but I prefer to read and read and read in big blocks..


    Sorry about your aches and pains - how frustrating! :(! I hope your hot bath helps though!

    Flora xxx
    www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your feeling a bit meh! I too have the uni blues & they suck! Don't worry to much about taking a break from the little ol blog, essays take a lot of time & energy (I myself had to take a blogging break during my may essays - my little brain can't take more than one thing at once). Plus if this a non-effort post I can't wait to see the effort ones, cos this quite frankly is a lovely post :)

    Rent is amazing, one of my favourite musical soundtracks ever!! I've never seen the theatre
    performance, but the movie is incredible!! I really hope you like it :)

    Charlotte xx

    http://hobbitsandhairdye.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so annoyed that I'm missing the Bath Xmas Meet - I work in Bath and live only 12 miles away!
    I've already got a work outing that day that I can't get out of really - hopefully there'll be another Bath meet at some point. :-) x

    ReplyDelete

To my fabulous Tori's Tales comment'ers - I cherish each and every comment you take the time to leave me and, because of that, I reply to each and every one in return. If you have a Twitter account, then that's where you'll find me replying (because, let's be honest, I live on Twitter. In Twitter. Around Twitter. Twitter). If you don't then fear not, because a) this means you don't say stuff like the things above and b) I'll find you elsewhere.......
(*creeps you all out*)