The tale of the Tori Sponge... | tori's tales: The tale of the Tori Sponge...

6 March 2013

The tale of the Tori Sponge...


A couple of days ago I casually whipped up an absolutely awesome (that's right, I'm not even ashamed of saying it!) Tori sponge that I thought I'd share with you in the hope that you'd believe me to be some sort of baking-Queen, despite this quite obviously not being the case! (I'm not even bordering on Princess territory,  maybe a baking-Lady at best!)


I turned to the one and only Mary Berry for the recipe (which you can find and follow here); it asks for double my previously-used quantities - 4 eggs to my 2 - which felt a little unusual, but my gosh does it make a good, proper sponge! It's an extremely easy recipe to follow as well, because it prescribes to the all-in-one method; you just whack it all in a bowl and mix! (although, let me tell you, that's easier said than done when you are me and only have the bowl from a set of scales to plonk everything in and a normal-sized metal spoon to mix it with!)
This sponge reminds me of the one my Nan makes (and I am partial to a piece of Nanny sponge!) Traditional if you will. I'm so used to adding vanilla to both the cake mixture and the buttercream that I had a mild panic when I realised I didn't have any and considered not making it at all! This cake, however, is darn perfect without it - it tastes exactly as a sponge should. The buttercream recipe I followed can be found here (note: I did not use cinnamon because I bloody HATE it! and also why the hell would I?!!) - I use a different recipe each time I make a cake because I always forget the measurements, which is rather annoying! Be careful (i.e. don't do a me, meaning the opposite of this advice) to add the hot water a little at a time, otherwise you'll end up with buttercream that oozes out of the cake after its been covered in cling-film (or you could just be a well-prepared normal person and pop the cake in a tin which is something I, of course, don't own!) re: the photo in the bottom left!

Anyway, I'd most definitely recommend making one for yourself. In less than a couple of hours you'll have a scrummy cake you'd be proud to share over a cuppa with old MB herself. What could be more perfect than that?!
Please excuse the different lighting - I made the cake at night but the two bottom-left photos were taken the following
day when I cut myself a good slab to have with my mid-morning cuppa :)

7 comments:

  1. Tori - now you've done it. I'm on a fast day, and I can TASTE that cake! you know how useless I am at Tori sponges.... mmmmmmmmm, scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noooooo, so sorry! I can't lie though, it is a VERY good cake :) In fact, Mike is having a piece right now!!

      Delete
  2. This looks positively heavenly Tori! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! Saving it to my "Recipes To Try" folder xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most definitely should! Like I said, it's just so easy, and if I can do it with the most ridiculously basic of bowls/spoons then anyone can!!

      Delete
  3. great blog! follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Victoria Sponge! ! This is making our mouth water so much! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a go! It really is so easy. I've spent all week since I posted NOT trying to make another :P I'd be eating a cake a week otherwise!

      Delete

To my fabulous Tori's Tales comment'ers - I cherish each and every comment you take the time to leave me and, because of that, I reply to each and every one in return. If you have a Twitter account, then that's where you'll find me replying (because, let's be honest, I live on Twitter. In Twitter. Around Twitter. Twitter). If you don't then fear not, because a) this means you don't say stuff like the things above and b) I'll find you elsewhere.......
(*creeps you all out*)